11 September 2014

dragon queen


As you probably already know, I'm a huge fan of leather. It's magical, powerful, and transformational. 





The leather pasties featuring a nipple piercing are by your's truly. The harness is of course, by Zana Bayne.

The piece of leather doesn't exude sexiness itself, but when you put it on a body it comes to life and reveals parts of a person that they normally wouldn't display. For me, I associate wearing leather with protection and power. The end goal for me is basically to look like a cross between leather bondage daddy and the executive of a financial firm. (Those two are not always mutually excusive!) Sometimes I wear so much leather to the point where people avert their gazes when I catch their eye while barreling down the street. People don't bother me when when I'm decked out in double leather because frankly, I look hella intimidating. And yes, I unapologetically do it on purpose. Sometimes a girl just doesn't want to be bothered going from point A to point B, and it actually works. You'll never see me out flouncing around in a sundress in New York. Los Angeles, maybe but thats only because I have the luxury of hiding in a car while commuting. Wearing all leather is a personal defense and protective act. I figure wearing leather pants with a leather jacket just amplifies and helps radiate the 'leave me alone vibes' on the street. If looking as unapproachable as possible means I will safely get where I need to go, I'm all about it.

I mentioned in my previous post that I really disagree the concept of womenswear and menswear as the divider of fashion, because it adheres to the binary concept that gender presents a certain way. That concept is totally skewed and totally glosses over all of the queer, transgendered, and gender non-conforming babes out there. It's no coincidence that the labels I pay attention to the most are the ones who are at the forefront of representing people of all different types of identities. It's extremely exciting for me to see labels like Zana Bayne and Chromat casting plus sized models and androgynous, queer models. They're both technically "womenswear" but their pieces are not limited to fitting the bodies of people who identify as women. I don't necessarily think that they're designed specifically for the cis-gendered woman either. Many of their pieces are left up to interpretation, because both of these labels mine in the same vein of genderless adornment.

Photos by Tayler Smith